Geroskipou, has a long history and a long tradition. Exact evidences, as to when been built up the first inhabiting in Geroskipou of today, do not exist. The various treasures troves, that brought in the light of the most recent discoveries by the archaeological pickax, they do at all events prove that Geroskipou been at least inhabited, from the middle of the second millennium B.C. (Afterwards Epoch of Copper).
In the pre-historical times, Geroskipou been joined with the adoration of Goddess Aphrodite. In conformity with the tradition, in the Geroskipou area, are found the Holy Gardens. Proof is the fact, that Geroskipou took her name, from the combination of the words, Holy and Garden (Geros and Kipos), preserving in such a way, her connection with the myth. The connection of the adorating practicals of the Paphian Goddess with the nature’s beauties of Geroskipou, gave to Aphrodite and the surnames of, “Aphrodite Anthea” and “Aphrodite in Gerdens” (Kipis). The beauty of the earth and the sprouting, should have been the most vigorous characteristic of that period, a fact that pushed the clergy of the Goddess Church, in Old Paphos “Palepaphos” (nowdays called Kouklia), to choose Geroskipou, as the place of the Holy Gardens (Geros Kipou) of Aphrodite. In those Gardens took place, part of the “Aphrodisia” manifestations, the annual feast as a dedication to the honor of the Goddess, which took place in the beginning of April, exactly in the period of the nature’s renaissance, after the winter time. The previous day of the feast, worshippers from all the ancient world, with the attendance of music and dances, used to start from a certain point of the Holy Gardens (Geros Kipou), to go to “Palepaphos”, where it was the famous Church of Aphrodite, the center of adoration in Cyprus and the place of “Aphrodisia” manifestations.
The name of “Gerokipia”, we meet it for first time, in the big Geographer of the antiquity “Stravona” (66 B.C. 23 A.D.), as “Gerokipis” and in the Latin author “Plinio” (23 A.D. 79 A.D.), as “Hiera et Cepia”.
Indications for the presence of Geroskipou, during the Hellenistic years, we only have from the existence of a cemetery, in the neighbouring places, “Haskas” and “Katarameni”.
The presence of Geroskipou, during the Roman period, do prove it remains of an inhabiting, that been found in the feet of the northern hillocks, a small Church of “Apollonos Ilatou”, which been discovered in the end of the 19th century, as well as and a hewed olive-press in the rock.
During the first Christian and the afterwards Byzantine years, Geroskipou preserves its significance, as it can be seen principally, from the Church of “Agia Paraskevi”, the oldest Royal five domes, that been saved in Cyprus. Is found in the center of the community, and belongs in the 9th century A.D., in the years of the Arabic joint-dominion in the Island and the iconoclastic quarrels.
The Church, most probably might be built up, on the foundations of an ancient Greek church (of Aphrodite) or an old Royal Christian. During the Christian times as well, the northern rocky and craggy hillocks of Geroskipou, as well as and the rocky site in the area of “Ai Giorki”, it seems to have favored the ascetic life, as it appears from the existence in these places, of natural caves or hewns on the rocks, as well as and other relative establishments.
According to the Medieval and the Renaissance sources, there do exist references for Geroskipou, principally in the book of the chronographer “Floriou Voustroniou” “Storia di Cipro”. During the Frankish domination, Geroskipou remained between the Crown lands, and been granted during the period of 1464 1468, to the prominent Feudal Lord “Petro Davilla” by the King of Cyprus “Jacob II”. In the book of “Voustroniou”, Geroskipou is referred as “Geroschipo” and “Hierokipos”, whereas it was known, even to the mapmakers of the 16th, 17th and 18th centuries. The naming of Geroskipou in the various maps, is related to the “Holy Gardens” “Geroskipous” of Aphrodite.
During the end of the 18th century, been established in Geroskipou, the Bristish Vice-Consulate. From 1800 and thereafter, Geroskipou precisely because of the fact that constituted the seat of the British Vice-Consulate in Paphos, been upgraded and played an important part. From that time, various foreign travelers, started to visit Geroskipou, but not only them, even and very important as well as and significant personalities of the Island. The Vice-Consulate been maintained, even till 1864 and in this dignity, remained Andreas and his son Smith or Hadjismith Zimboulakis.